Monday, July 4, 2011

Get on the Bus, Chinatown Express Bus Lines Dominate the Road



by Cali Santana

So you're a jet-setter at heart. Got folks spread up & down the coast. You're super ready to hit the road. And lastly, but quite importantly...you are traveling on a TIGHT budget. And like most make-it-happen Excursionista types, you would never allow that tight budget to keep you from your destination. You have an entire world that awaits you!

Well, if just getting there has been an issue for you, and if you aren't hip to the Chinatown Express (CE), this blog will change your life. This is your passport to making it happen, with enough comfort and convenience to boast about. It's your easy fix to somewhere close and/or far. For a small nominal fee, you can get to most highly visited states, and select major & minor cities within those states. From Boston, to NYC, to Phila, to Norfolk, VA – you name it & the Chinatown Express is there!

"I don't do buses"

Okay. I feel you. Quite frankly I didn't either, until the Chinatown Express. My first experience on the CE was in 2004 and some friends from out West were meeting up in the City. I wanted to go…had to go…but I wasn't too sure how I wanted to make that happen.

1) There was no reason to drive to NYC. From prior experience, this never seemed like a good thing to do. Specifically, I was staying in Manhattan so it made absolutely no sense to have the hassle of a car to deal with.

2) I was in graduate school. So you know that the funds were LOW! I couldn't travel as leisurely as my natural self would have liked so I had to pay very close attention to the funds.

3) All things considered, I was still bourgeoisie with the travel. Let me be real about that. My thinking was like what yours may be: I just don't do buses. I just don't get along with Greyhound. The train is cool, but I may as well purchase an airline ticket. Right?

Well somehow, someway, I was introduced to the Chinatown Express and it all clicked with me. My ever growing appreciation of 'something new' surfaced, or it may have been my hearing that they sometimes show Japanese/anime movies. It may have been that the CE informant (whoever you are-thank you!) just dazzled me that much, or maybe it was the fact that somebody outside of the normal stronghold provided a cost effective alternative, and I liked that!

Regardless of what the reason, it was enough to make up my mind. I was getting on the bus.

Pick up was at some random spot on Broad Street (I was back in Richmond, VA at the time). Pops brought me up there & it was all legit. It looked like some storefront Chinese spot with a handwritten neon orange sign in the window. Don't be alarmed, everything looks official now – the signs from city to city are standard so no need to consider sketchiness. I personally liked the bootleg feel. The brothers and sisters running the ship were very cool and helpful as well. I went in to purchase & just like that the deal was done. Much less hassle than most travel transactions I've had to make.

The CE was clean & just seemed larger in size (compared to Greyhound). On a regular basis I've had a row to myself (2 seats) & of course you have to love this. During that particular trip, I got on the bus at 1AM & I was in NYC by the first speck of daylight the very next morning!

It was an easy & restful ride, so by the time I got to The City I was ready to start the day. We pulled right into Chinatown & the stop was conveniently close to the subway which is great. No travel sluggishness that morning. Everything went smooth.

"I'm game. Just get me started."

Check out the website. www.chinatown-bus.org is the most comprehensive site for the various lines and destinations. It includes departure & pick-up times & locations, and pricing, and direct contact information.

And for my West Coast massive, it looks like the CE is also in Cali now! With destinations ranging from LA, to Vegas, to SanFran, to Reno – you are bound to get your travel game on at a more than reasonable price.

On the East Coast, the states are so close together that you're paying close to nothing for the ride. Literally, 20 bucks RT from Phila-NYC. From DC-NY it's about 35 bucks RT. Overall the price varies between distance, mileage & frequency. And once you compare airline tickets & fees, or driving accessories such as parking, tolls, and gas – the Chinatown Express is a complete win for a quick trip.

They recommend arrive 30 minutes before the CE leaves & I say that it's mandatory. Again, consider the city you're leaving from & what time of day it is. For example leaving out of NYC on a Sunday afternoon at 4 or 5 is major! You need to be there in advance & in a line to make sure that this happens. After a while you'll get a feel for what works best, but as with anything, the early bird catches the worm. CPT & APT are not on the same clock. Chances are that they will depart on time.

If you are paying on the spot, you must have cash. I've forgotten this once in the past, and worked up a sweat to making what could have been an avoidable ATM dash. Never again. Nowadays, I purchase my ticket on line & have it on hand at the point of arrival. Be sure to print off two copies if you're traveling RT.

One of the coolest features of the Chinatown Express (besides the low cost!) is the fact that you can use the ticket for up to a year of the purchase date. So depending on how much of a drifter or floater you are on your travels, there's no big fuss over heading back on the day you stated. Another plus is that the ticket you purchase is not name specific. So you can pass a ticket to a buddy if need be.

And while I thought my first time would be my last time, I have undeniably been proven wrong. The Chinatown Express has become one of my trusty, when in doubt resources – mainly for big cities where I have folks & family with wheels and access to get around.

< O:P>

I've taken the CE for day trips to NYC to celebrate with friends. Weekend trips to help relocating friends in Phila move. It's easy, reliable, and convenient. So in effort to keep my standard, I still say "I don't do buses". But I'll also be honest & say that I do the Chinatown Express! So get on the bus, and don't forget to let your Excursionista Crew know all about it…safe travels.

Cali Santana is a business woman-on-the-go who treks up-and-down the east coast, and sometimes makes mad dashes to central and south America. A country-city sista who has her own company called Virtual self, also dabbles in poetry, and is preparing to publish her first book for young girls. Cali Santana is Excursionista's business travel editor, but she is more than just work!

No comments: