Sunday, May 2, 2010

Platinum Indian Weddings

My jaw dropped when my co-worker from Southern India told me that she had a four-day wedding with 500 guests. I'm flipping over 100. I wanted to ask her why, but she was in the midst of a bitter divorce just after two years and I didn't want to go there.

Several months after that I spoke to a male colleagues who is Indian and he explained the relevance of the big extravagant, muti-day weddings. According to him, the merging of families is the core of a society and must be treated as such, the zenith of all ceremonies.

Not only does the couple and their parents invite people, but extended relatives offer invitations as well. As it was explained to me, an uncle's wife can invite her family, and then they invite people like their neighbors.

Unfortunately, the US does not support such lavish weddings as I would have had to have been a surrogate mother three times just to put down a down payment for that.

Nevertheless, the concept gives us all something to think about.

Family is your wealth. Here is a Sikh's wedding. Observe the opulence that puts platinum weddings to shame.

No comments: