Monday, June 20, 2011

A Pot & A Hot Plate



For years I was a strict vegan until I broke down in South America and ate some grilled fish when I couldn't find a good restaurant that catered to my lifestyle. What I know now probably would have kept me on that path, a food regimen I wish I would've stuck to some days. Any who, I still am very sensitive to a host of foods I haven't eaten since 1994. Sometimes I break out in hives or have an itchy face when I unintentionally consume something that I'm not used to.

For example, a couple of years ago right before I was to take a spa getaway weekend in Temecula, Calif., my aunt made a batch of collard greens for the holidays. She put pork in it, though she told me otherwise. I took a bite and spit them out! Unfortunately, that did not save me, not even five minutes later, my lips started swelling and I had hives around my mouth and nose the whole weekend. I was miserable, but the red clay bath and mineral spa made me feel somewhat better. Oh well, I just charge those incidents to the game and keep it pushing.

That incident wasn't as bad as the time I drank liquor after abstaining for six years and damn near threw up on the most hideous blind date I have ever experienced. On a serious note, your health is the most important thing when you travel, and now I take measures by taking a snack stash during my travails. It is something like hood girl meets the ultimate survivor equates to a badasssss sister preparation kit. I bring water, trail mix, some granola bars, spirulina, roasted seaweed, and senna capsules (this keeps the bowels moving).

Another tip was dropped on me when I was reading this Yoga magazine some months ago. An instructor said that she brings a hot plate and a pot wherever she goes to stick to her simple foods. She also takes a bag of rice and lentils to prepare in her room. Brilliant! Not only does it keep you on track, but it cuts your traveling costs. Now, I'm not saying eat beans and rice every day, but if you supplement one meal with a hot plate and pot dish, or something you can prepare on your own, that puts spending money in your pocket for something else.

Of course there are some places where you can't transport produce, so consider dried fruits, veggies, and nuts. Also, snack bars such as granola bars go a long way too. I took some ginger treats, soy beef jerky, and protein bars. Besides the gas I got from all the soy in the fake jerky and protein bars, I was good!

No comments: